First release of new CAD/CAM repos

Finally out! The new CAD/CAM repos are built for fc16, and are the only RPMs for Fedora or any RH-derivative distro that I know of. The first entries are FreeCAD and OpenCASCADE that FreeCAD depends on.

On the back end, there is a brand-new infrastructure for managing the repos. Grinder keeps Zultron's Fedora and supporting mirrors up to date. Tito automates building RPMs from git tags. Tito sends releases to Koji, which manages the released Zultron RPMs, including those in the CAD/CAM repos. Koji builds the RPMs using Mock, which creates chroots to build RPMs for any distro or arch. Koji keeps track of which builds go into which repos, and also keeps track of package signatures. Sigul provides a secure interface to automate signing packages with the Zultron RPM signing key. Finally, Mash takes care of pulling the signed repos' packages out of Koji and putting them on the disk, along with the repo metadata and human-readable web pages. Whew!

8 Comments

Julian LambJune 21st, 2012 at 11:32 am

Awesome! Thanks for your hard work on the Freecad repo.

Except now I’ve just upgraded to Fedora 17 and the repo won’t work anymore. Any plan to roll up a version for Fedora 17? Just curious.

Cheers–

jmanJune 21st, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Hi Julian,

Yep, I’m working on it. A generous fellow Richard Shaw walked the prerequisite packages for FreeCAD through the submission process to Fedora and RPMFusion. Some of the packaging was from this repo, and some was his own of somewhat different versions. In fact, he’s got FreeCAD submitted for approval in RPMFusion, but last I saw it hadn’t yet been accepted.

From my side, I was happy to maintain fewer packages, but when I built FreeCAD against the new packages in Fedora and RPMFusion, a bunch of things stopped working. I’m working hard on fixing some problems with my build process, and should get back to fixing the FreeCAD package in the next day or so. Once the FreeCAD package is fixed, I think FC17 should be trivial. As part of the build system work I’ve prepared FC17 build targets.

Richard reports that his FreeCAD package works with FC17, so if you search the RPMFusion ticketing system, you should be able to find his request and links to his source RPMs, if you want to try building it yourself. Otherwise, check back in a week or two for any progress reports.

Thanks for using the repo!

[Edit: Here's a link to Richard's ticket. Looks like they're getting close with it! https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2300 ]

Julian LambJune 23rd, 2012 at 12:19 am

Thanks again jman,
Great to hear! I’ll patiently await your update…no sense in me duplicating efforts since I can afford to wait.

Cheers!!

jmanJune 25th, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Update: Turns out the reason FreeCAD wasn’t working is the Fedora zipios++ RPM is broken. The RPM is based on mine, but very nicely cleaned up. Somehow, though, the submitter managed to get what appears to be a much older of zipios++ into the RPM. I filed a bug report here:

I’m still working on a few things with the repo build/mirror sync/RPM sigs/repo push chain, so it’ll be a few more days before the fc17 repo is available.

jmanJune 26th, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Update: I added links in the RPMFusion ticket to SRPMs for FreeCAD and python-pycxx:

Not sure if that will hasten or delay the acceptance of FreeCAD into RPMFusion. It depends on what they decide about python-pycxx.

They should be in the Zultron repos within a few days. Stay tuned….

jmanJune 29th, 2012 at 12:27 pm

New update: Not much progress on the Zultron repo because I’ve been helping get the FreeCAD and supporting libs into RPMFusion and Fedora. Getting pretty close there; I expect them to be approved in the next couple of days, and then they’ll spend a little time in the Testing repos before being promoted to the main repos.

Julian LambJune 29th, 2012 at 10:50 pm

jman,
Awesome…can’t wait to check them out. And thanks for taking the initiative for getting these into Fedora and RPMFusion. FreeCAD is a great package and needs all the exposure it can get.

Cheers–

jmanJuly 7th, 2012 at 3:15 pm

It’s very late, but I’m tentatively saying that after this rsync finishes, the Zultron CAD/CAM repos will be updated:

- fc17 support (I have no way of testing these packages quite yet)
- ‘testing’ and ‘bleeding’ repos (I plan to start building the FreeCAD dev tree soon)
- a new system to build and mirror the repos from end-to-end so that updates will be fast and effortless

Also, the RPMFusion version of FreeCAD has pased review, and I guess the primary maintainer will have it built and into the testing repos within a few days. I may not get time to do it myself, since I’m about to be pulled into another project for a while.